Hi. I’m Gayle Howard: Executive Resume Writer, Word Nerd, Mac Geek and Storyteller Extraordinaire!
For almost three decades, I’ve helped people find their voices and tell their stories to stand out in a crowd.
I’m a strong believer in the notion that people gravitate to what they love—even when it involves compromise. For me, my career aspirations were crushed (in earlier, unenlightened times) by a high school careers teacher insisting that “Journalism was for men“. That pretty lousy advice took me in different directions professionally, but ultimately, I returned to my passion for writing when I launched Top Margin in March 1990.
28 years later, and here I am! Master Resume Writer, author, career storyteller, coach, trainer and winner of numerous resume-writing awards—extolling the talents of my clients as they demonstrate determination, tenacity and success. I tell people’s stories of insurmountable obstacles overcome, and of ways they disrupt the old, to bring in the new. My resumes succeed because I provide the context that makes people eager to know more. Allow me to craft your unique and compelling story now. There is a decision maker just desperate to hear about you.
- Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW) examined by Career Directors International
- Certified Personal Branding Strategist, Reach Communications
- Certified G3 Coach: Get Clear, Get Hired, Get Found! The Academies
- Certified Executive Resume Master, Career Directors International
- Certified Tough Transitions Coach, The Academies
- Certified Job Loss Recovery Coach
- Certified IT Resume Specialist (CRS+IT) examined by Career Directors International
- Master Career Director (MCD) examined by Career Directors International
- Certified Online Networking Professional (Linked in), The Academies
- Certified Career Enlightenment LinkedIn Writer
- Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) 1997-2008 examined by the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches
- Certified Web Portfolio Practitioner (CWPP) examined by Career Directors International
- Certified Master Resume Specialist (CMRS) examined by the Association of Online Resume and Career Professionals
- Certified Advanced Resume Writer (CARW), examined by Career Directors International
- Certified Job Search Strategies training (completed, not certified)
- Human Resource Concepts Certificate, Brainbench
- Behavioral Interviewing Certificate, Brainbench
- 360 Reach Certified Analyst, Reach Communications
My Resume Writing Awards
56 Nominations. Winner, 20 First Place Awards, 5 Second Place, 5 Third Place. Second and Third Place Awards in the World’s Best Resume Competition.
- Best Resume 2000, Best Resume Content, Best Resume Format, Best Chronological Resume, Annual Resume Writing Awards 2000, Career Directors International
- Best New Graduate Resume, Best Re-Entry into the Workforce Resume, Best International Resume 2002 TORI Awards (Toast of the Resume Industry) Career Directors International
- Best Military Conversion Resume, Best Executive Resume, Best New Graduate Resume and Best International Resume, 2003 TORI Awards
- Winner, 2003 Australian Achiever Award for “Excellence in Customer Service”
- Highly Recommended Certificate, 2004 Australian Achiever Awards for “Excellence in Customer Service”.
- Best Executive Resume, Best Professional Resume, and Best New Graduate Resume, 2004 TORI Awards.
- Best International Resume, Best New Graduate Resume, 2005 TORI Awards.
- Nominee 2007 TORI Awards. 6 Nominations from 8 Categories: Best Executive Resume, Best International Resume, Best Professional Resume, Best New Graduate Resume, Best Career Re-entry Resume, Best Creative Resume.
- Best Career Re-Entry Resume, 2007 TORI Awards.
- Winner, Master Resume Writer Lifetime Achievement Award, bestowed by Career Directors International 2007.
- Best Career Re-Entry Resume (2nd Place), Best Technical Resume (3rd Place), 2008 TORI Awards, Career Directors International
- Top 3 Placegetter, 2009 World’s Best Resume Competition, Career Directors International. Second place public vote, third place industry vote.
- Winner, Master Career Director Lifetime Achievement Award, bestowed by Career Directors International 2008
- Nominee, 2009 TORI Award in four categories: Best Executive Resume, Best Graduate Resume, Best Technical Resume, Best Creative Resume
- Third Place Winner, 2009 TORI Awards: Best New Graduate Resume and Best Creative Resume
- President’s Choice Award for Career Excellence, TORI Awards 2010
- Second Prize, Best Cover Letter; Third Prize Best Sales and Marketing Resume, 2011 TORI Awards, Career Directors International
- Nominee, Best Cover Letter and Best International Resume, 2012 TORI Awards, Career Directors International
- Third Place Winner, Best International Resume, 2012 TORI Awards, Career Directors International
- Three-time Nominee, TORI Awards 2013, Career Directors International: Best Creative Resume, Best Sales Resume, Best Re-Entry Resume
- Second Place, Best Re-Entry Resume 2013 TORI Awards, Career Directors International
- Three-time Nominee, TORI Awards 2015, Career Directors International: Best Graduate Resume, Best Executive Resume and Best Accounting/Finance Resume
- First Place, Best Graduate Resume 2015 and second place Best Accounting/Finance Resume 2015.
My Resume Writing Books
- Author, PS…You Need a Resume!
- Author, PS…You’re a Resume Expert (for professional resume writers)
- Author, A Satisfying Career, Starting and Running Your Own Resume Writing Practice (2010)
- Author, E-Course: PS…You’re a Resume Expert: Resume Mastery for Professional Resume Writers (2007)
- Featured resume author in 22 major international career books.
- Contributing Author, Certified Advanced Resume Writer (CARW) Certification Guide (2007)
- Contributor, resume samples featured in Resumes for Dummies 7th Edition 2015
Resume Writing Industry
Appointments and Memberships
- Chair, International Certification Committee, Career Directors International (2008-Present)
- Director of TORI Awards, 2010, Career Directors International
- Associate Member, Career Thought Leaders
- Career Advisor, Going Global
- International Advisor, Certification Committee, Association of Online Resume and Career Professionals
- International Resume Expert, and Virtual Business Expert, Association of Online Resume and Career Professionals
- Charter Member, Career Directors International
- Associate Member, Career Development Association of Australia
- Member, Association of Online Career and Resume Professionals
Resume Writing Training and Mentorship
- Trained and mentored three professional resume writers to secure TORI award nominations and wins on first attempt
- Trained and mentored more than 150 professional resume writers to enrich their professional development. Numerous students progressed to become accomplished writers, Certified Advanced Resume Writers, and TORI nominees through the Resume Mastery training.
- Conceived, wrote, developed, presented and narrated the video training course for jobseekers in, and immigrating to, Australia: the Great Aussie Resume training course
IT Resumes/Executive Resume Writing Specialties
Executive resumes, Tough Transitions (post-redundancy, entrepreneur-to-employee, consultant-to-permanent senior-level manager, cross-country transitions); IT resumes (CIOs, Group Manager Infrastructure, IT Executives, senior network engineers, business analysts, project managers, program managers), Australian resumes, US Resumes