- You are open to new ideas about resumes, personal branding, and the job search
- You are comfortable allowing Gayle ‘do her stuff’. That is, you are used to allowing experienced professionals recommend strategies and deliver outcomes.
- You can find your way around a computer without stress. That is, you can open a Word document, save it, download items from a link and find your downloads.
- You are committed to getting it done right in the time it takes to do it right.
- You are collaborative and ready to contribute. You really get a buzz out of being asked questions and it challenges and excites you to think about your career in-depth.
- You are comfortable communicating via the internet (email, e-lists, forums, Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn).
- You are in, or aspire to be in, a leadership role (any industry) or you are a leader of tomorrow (graduate).
We recommend you pursue other services if any of these items apply to you:
- You have no idea what you want to do next in your career. That is, you could equally be a child-care worker, a florist, a truck driver or a marketing manager and you’re planning on applying for any or all of them simultaneously.
- You want to meet personally or chat on the phone regularly when you’re inspired to do so.
- You want a “general” resume so that you can apply for any type of position… from truck driver to engineer to CEO.
- You have very strong opinions about resume ‘rules’ and you consider those rules unbreakable. (example: numbers of pages, style types, formatting ideas).
- You want us to work differently and change the way we do things.
- You want to develop a resume by committee—not making a move until you’ve consulted with your friends, mentors, neighbours and family members.
- You cannot use a computer or you don’t have access to a computer regularly.
- You do not have access to Microsoft Word.
- You’re not interested in expending a great deal of effort.
- You have a deadline for submitting an application that is fewer than 4 weeks away.
- You decide you love us and desperately want us to work for you. 😉
- You select and pay for the package that best suits your needs using Visa, Mastercard, Amex or PayPal. You can split your payment into two equal payments: 50% deposit on signing, 50% on return of your worksheets prior to commencing writing. If you would prefer the two payments, just follow the process at the online checkout.
- We ask you a lot of questions via our online worksheets which you complete.
- We place your project on the writing queue and when we’re up to you, Gayle starts writing.
- Your resume is presented for review. Two drafts, and sign off. Done!
Yes. Yes you do. Kidding! We think you’ll find that our prices are entirely appropriate for the hours devoted to presenting you as the unbeatable candidate. Cheap services are a dime-a-dozen; we’re confident you wouldn’t want to settle for less. Our prices and packages are here.
Please also check the number of endorsements by professionals in the industry and past clients. We have also posted some non-solicited email extracts on our website here and on every page on the bottom margin of this website, further non-solicited customer testimonials appear with the client’s first name and their generic position title to ensure the confidential nature of our service. Every complimentary email we receive, we add to the rotating appearances—ample opportunity for you to view our client’s pleasure with our services.
Top Margin is different. We invest hours examining your career, probing forgotten achievements, exploring your talents, strategising how to present you, and analysing what you have to offer. This rigorous, exhaustive questioning, planning, and development work sets us apart from our competitors. Your presentation is authentic and unique, reinforcing your promise of value.
Despite the intensity of the behind-the-scenes work, all communications are virtual. We know you need time to think away from the workplace and we offer you that freedom. Take the time you need to respond.
Yes… and no. First, we’ve seen a lot of bad resumes over the years… and yes, some of those resumes have been from professional writing firms. That’s often because people can call themselves anything they like and there are some who fail to grasp what you do, and what’s important to you. However, sometimes job seekers can be overly critical too or just simply not possess the knowledge of contemporary job search. We believe it’s more important to test the market with your resume before you shop it around to another resume writer. You never know—what you like personally and what the market wants, can be complete opposites! So this is what we’ll do: if you bring the resume to us, we’ll look at it dispassionately and ask ourselves: is the resume poorly written, not targeted to your goal or in line with current trends? Could we make a difference and do it better? Are you being reasonable in your dislike of the document or is your assessment coloured by a lack of knowledge, a dislike of the service you used, or an unachievable aim for perfection? Is your job target achievable and finally, are you willing to devote the time and effort to do it all again? Once we review the situation, we’ll give you a frank assessment of what we consider the next steps to be. Please note that we never ‘update’ a resume written by another firm. If we think we can help, we’ll be rewriting it from scratch. If you don’t like it then there’s no point ‘rearranging a few words’ and hoping it will be transformed. It won’t.
Well-meaning people raise this issue from time-to-time. Mostly we receive such comments from our North American visitors who believe that words such as centre (center), organised (organized), specialise (specialize), recognise (recognize), colour (color), licence (license), defence (defense), and so on are not spelled correctly. Top Margin is an Australian company. Australians adopt the UK English spelling style. Americans have adopted the American/English spelling style. As we are primarily talking to our Australian audiences, we use the spelling adopted by our country. However, we are also experts in writing for the North American market, so please be assured that that when we create a resume for you, we’ll spell it your way!
The ultimate beneficiaries of our expertise, our clients, are our greatest personal reward for the efforts we expend in pursuing excellence and maximising our skills. But it is not just about personal rewards. It is about elevating the profile of the industry and raising the bar for others to aspire. The resume-writing industry is strengthened by people invested in surpassing clients’ expectations. Not just anyone can excel in the art of resume writing. The fast turnover of fly-by-night businesses run by stay-at-home mums and students armed with Word templates and computers will tell you that. Recognition is about separating the talented from the run of the mill and inspiring professionals to reach for the sky.
Self-promotion? Hardly! Certification and professional affiliation are about giving back to the industry in a tangible way so that you, the client, can benefit from the knowledge and quality of the person who serves you.